When do I need a commercial auto policy vs a personal auto policy. Here a few of examples of when you would obtain a commercial auto policy:
- Your employees drive your car;
- You use your personal vehicle for business;
- You drive people for a fee including UBER;
- You deliver goods;
- You have commercial plates on the vehicle;
- You have equipment like ladders in your vehicle;
- Your gross vehicle weight is 12,000 lbs or over;
- You drive people around like a realtor, nanny or home health aide; or
- When you have business logos on your car.
These are a few examples. It is better to have a policy that will cover you when needed. The cost of a commercial auto policy should not be too much more than a personal auto policy.
Also, remember to ask about a liability policy for your business, which, can be as low as $450 per year for a million dollars in coverage.